Wednesday, December 9, 2009
by wompsett

I first smoked pot when I was in eighth grade. 

I had my first drink before I was in high school (somehow pot came before alcohol for me).

I did not finish high school.

I never went to college.

I fell in love early (17 for those of you that are curious what early is)

I went down a lot of roads that people in my life probably thought I would never return from. Yet (somehow) I managed to end up not living on the street. Not living my life one fix to the next, which is probably how it looked to all the people close to me when I was a kid.

I don't know what it was about junior high that got me going all backwards. Well maybe backwards isn't the right way to put it. Maybe off track is a better way. And maybe not even off my track, just off the track that was laid out in front of me. But anyway, for the sake of the story, let's say off track. Something in that two story rectangle of classrooms got to me. And it brought out in me, defiance. Defiance to the man. Not that I had any idea who the man was. Shit for all I knew the man was a lady. But I did know that I would go to all sorts of extents to make sure that the he/she man monster wasn't running my life. Junior high was the beginning of my end (as it applies to establishment). Maybe it was my friends. Maybe it was just who I was. I don't know. But there was something about that school.

I think back and try and figure out what it was that set me off and, I honestly have No. Fucking. Clue.

So I made it through junior high just fine. I was still fairly un-corrupted at that point, not completely, but somewhat. I wasn't some sort of out of control maniac freak of a kid. I just experimented a time or few with defiance and substance, and that was enough for me. Until high school. High school was the peak of my "shitheadedness." It all came to a culmination sometime in my sophomore year. And the weird thing about me was, I did not appear to be the little fuck I was. Most shit heads can be spotted from miles away. Not me. I was in student leadership (fuck, I even dressed up as our school mascot from time to time for football games). A lot of my teachers liked me. The administrators liked me (even if it was just because the 3 siblings before me to come through their doors were all angels compared to me). I honestly think my teenage years took most people by surprise. And as I wrote briefly in my last post (and above. Damn I'm redundant), I dropped out of high school. Well a better way to put it is that I was kicked out for no longer attending any classes.

It was brutal few years. I didn't get a long with my parents. I was in a constant state of "fuck the world, you're all out to get me so just eat shit and die." I moved out of my house when I was 17 and into one of the biggest shit holes to ever be inhabited by human beings. We literally had an empty keg in our kitchen for 2-1/2 months, and when we finally moved it we found a colony of sick fucking maggots underneath it. Thriving on the drippings from the tap and the rotting vinyl floor. We were kicked out of that house. I had nowhere to go. Luckily I had met an incredibly nice girl while living there (who happened to be nuts about me) and she invited me into to her home to live with her folks (let me tell you, living with your in-laws before they are your in-laws, before you are even dating their daughter is a weird fucking thing). And from there the coaster starting rolling back up the ramp. That saying "The roller coaster's gotta roll to the bottom, before it can climb to the top again," couldn't be any more full of truth.

So as I said, from that point on my life starting turning around. It took me while to realize that my life actually needed to be turned around. And without the people in my life I wouldn't have been able to manage it. Actually prior to moving in with my (future) wife I was planning on moving to San Diego to couch surf (and I knew all of 5 people down there and they all lived in the same house), somehow I don't think that would've have worked out as well for me. Luckily for me it did not happen. And the rest is just a boring story of everyday life that no one really wants to hear or read.

(I don't mean to bore any of you reading this with the story of my life. But seeing as how most of you reading this don't know me, I thought a little background might be good.)

Comments

  1. gravatar

    Lisa on December 9, 2009 at 7:05 PM

    You are so much like the students I teach. I know to some/all of those students I am The Man. I have a big heart and I love my students, but I am a one tough bitch. I don't play the games students like to play, but I will do whatever I can to lure them in. It's like I want to poke around in your brain to find out how I help these students. But the truth is I might never see what difference I make. I like to say that I am planting seeds to gardens I may never get to enjoy. Were there any teachers who planted a seed in your life? What did he/she do that made a difference? Thanks for sharing. As always, your #1 Fan, Lisa

  2. gravatar

    wompsett on December 10, 2009 at 11:21 AM

    Oh there a few teachers that made a difference for sure. It was the ones that were willing to engage me on person to person level rather than a teacher to student level. I'm sure that's a very fine line to try and walk, but for me it's what made the difference. And one of those teachers happened to share my musical taste, and that made it easier to connect with him. Having some common ground.