Thursday, November 19, 2009
by wompsett

If you happened to take a look at my profile you would have noticed that I am from (and live) in the SF bay area. A wonderfully liberal area for the most part. However, I work in the wholesale plumbing industry. An industry that I have come to realize is terribly conservative. An industry that I have no idea how I ended up in. Everyday I sit at my desk banging my head into the window wishing I would have remembered the fucking earplugs I keep telling myself I need to wear when within these walls. How the plumbing industry managed to recruit every right winger in the area is beyond me. Even the most liberal of the bunch is far too conservative for my level of tolerance. There is even a 70 year old gay guy that would be a better fit in a town like Lubbock, Texas than San Francisco (he's actually from Texas so I guess that makes sense). I mean I thought to be gay you had to be liberal. No? Anyway, the vast majority of the folks I work with are tight ass conservatives (with the exception of the gay guy, probably not a tight ass) (By the way I LOVE gay people. Some of the most genuine and hilarious people I have met have been gay, just sayin') that scare the shit of me.

Today the topic of the conversation in the office circulated around the whole trial of the 09/11 mastermind in NY. And how appauled they all are that we give this guy the decency of a civilian trial in our oh so un-corrupt judicial system. And how it would be far better to just take the guy out of his cage and put a bullet in his head or throw him off a tall building to spare us the embarrassment of letting him walk on our stolen soil.

To this my internal voice was screaming out for me to jump into their conversation and lay down some liberalesness. This is a perfect example of the problem I have with the mainstream. I am guessing that folks like me who think "who the FUCK cares if this guy is given a fair civilian trial on our soil" are in the low percentile group of the census on the issue. Wouldn't it be more punishment for KSM anyway if he had to live out his days sharing a cell with this guy. I sure think so. I mean doesn't he want to die? so by issuing a death sentence rule won't we just be accomadating him?

I don't really feel that strongly one way or another about the fate of KSM. I highly doubt that seeing him incarcerated or killed is truly going to make a family member of someone who lost in the attack feel any better. Maybe for a minute, but that's about it.

This is a perfect example of why I am scared as hell of the sane folks running wild in our nation. Because to hold a conversation about shooting someone in the back of the head, or dropping him off a building as a means of retribution is perceived by the masses as perfectly normal. I mean even our Prez issued a statement that he is pretty sure this guy will get the death penalty. Isn't that breaking some sort of unspoken rule. I remember hearing something once about being innocent until proven guilty. If our own president can't abide by these rules then why fuck do they exist. Why even have a judicial system. Maybe we should just live by renegade law (and I'm talking about the kind of law that Larenzo Lamas AKA Reno Raines laid down). Sometimes it seems that's where this nation is heading. Just look at Maricopa county for Christ's fucking sake.

I stick by my view that sanity is some scary ass shit. Go crazy, you'll be better off for doing so.

Comments